Friday, March 14, 2008

SXSW continues...


Ok. I need to remember this isn't everyday life--yesterday, I started the day with Clair & The Reasons and Noah & the Whale (the two art/rock/pop acts weren't playing the same party but they should have as the bands were twinned in my mind) drinks, CDs, tamales and music by Birds&Batteries at the Bay Area Takeover show at Beauty Bar; make-your-own t-shirts and buttons plus a hint of what I'd be bowled over by later when DeVotchKa played a brief set at the free your radio show). My right arm is getting full of Stubb's wristbands as I keep running over there last minute: yesterday I was enjoying some songwriters at The Parish when I looked at the schedule and realized Brett Dennen, Ben Harper, Billy Bragg and Kimya Dawson were playing Tom Morrelo's "Body of War" protest set with several other songwriters. Just like an open mic, each artist played 3 songs. I got there in time for the bulk of the show. Let's just say I was literally in tears during Ben Harper's deeply soulful turn. I had a front row vantage by the end so stayed through Mason Jenning's (to me boring) performance to get rocked by Austin local hero Alejandro Escoveda. Per usual, he tore it up with his band so I was more awake than I thought for another dose of DevotchKa (buy this Denver band's CD NOW) and Billy Bragg's 1 am. set at a very packed Ceder Street Courtyard (he was tired but funny: "People say 'nice gig' here and I'm wondering which one I've played so many times"). Phew...

After interviewing a lot of folks this week for TCG I am in the hot seat today—
I'm getting set to go talk with Mike Perazetti for an upcoming broadcast on his fevered brain radio network. Then it will likely be a round of parties (hoping to catch She& Him and Liam Finn and perhaps another dose of Billy Bragg) before opening up the 7th Annual Invasion of the GoGirls 2-Song night at Trophy's.

No comments: