Monday, June 30, 2008

Down to the river....

"O sisters let's go down
Let's go down, come on down
O sisters let's go down
Down in the river to pray"
— Alison Krauss

On my way to a show in San Luis Obispo, I got one of those calls you dread. My college friend, Samantha Szemeredi's breast cancer had not only recurred, but with a harrowing vengeance. I was glad I'd already planned a visit to Santa Cruz after my show on my way home Sunday (thanks to Linnaea's and pals Mat, Becca & Talia for making the southern leg of the weekend happy), not that thrilled that it would include a stop at Dominican Hospital. Sunday, I was very grateful to have some time with her and her big bright spirit, and her great loving family and friends. And of course, mad and sad. 41 years old, a new husband, a wonderful son.
Home, quite, stunned, I did a bit of research.
The Breast Cancer Fund
confirmed much of what I've come to believe:
"
No more than 10 percent of breast cancers are genetic, and science increasingly points to toxic chemicals and radiation as factors in the sharp rise of breast cancer incidence."
The fund is doing many things to counteract this:
"
Through public education, policy initiatives, outdoor challenges and other innovative campaigns, the Breast Cancer Fund mobilizes the public to secure the changes needed to stop this devastating epidemic."

Oh sisters.....

Samantha passed away June 30, 2008

No comments: