Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy winter: community unplugged


Holiday cheer continued this weekend and I believe I'm officially back in the states. Still missing the easy conviviality of the chai/coconut stand that was the social hub of Mysore, I took matters into my hands.  I managed to bring my recent India-learnt recipes stateside with success! Chai! Roti! Daal!... And get to the beach in time for sunset. The next day, some of the left-overs fed friends who misread the date of my brunch (:)), followed by Solstice Unplugged hosted by the local Social Media Club crew.  Happy solstice! Here's a chai recipe to keep you warm.

Chai for four
Boil 4 cups water with 1-2 cloves cardamon; 1 lg cinnamon stick and 3-4 whole cloves for 10 minutes. Add 2 Tbs. black tea (Ceylon or Earl Grey) and boil another 5 minutes. Add 1/2-1 cup milk (whole, soy, rice or 1/2 cup 1/2&1/2 and bring to a boil. Pour into cups through a strainer, sweeten as much or little as desired with sugar, honey, agave or jaggery...Enjoy






















2 comments:

Sally said...

Sounds like it was perfect you stayed in the City afterall. Can you post the Coconut Pudding recipe, too.

Sally said...

Oh, Thanks for the splendid time at your party. Leo had a blast.