Friday, December 18, 2009

Read.Eat.Listen: ode to flight

flight 1 (flt)n.
1.
a.
The motion of an object in or through a medium, especially through the earth's atmosphere or through space.
2. a. The act or process of flying through the air by means of wings.

It's amazing how a small bird can get from Mexico to California on nothing but the strength of it's minuscule body. No wonder we non-birds spend mimicking the ability to fly when we can't actually do it. To take flight, of course, can be both positive and negative: soaring or panicking, elation or drug-induced high polarizing that particular spectrum. Given that half the time I'm scheming about how to fly back to India, it was apt that a Samsung Flight phone was recently sold to me by a native of Nepal. Here at the nearest AT&T store was someone with whom I could at once abet my craving for the sensibilities of Indian subcontinent and get my phone needs handled. The dreaded wrangling over service plans was a tad easier when insterspersed with talk of the Ganges River and Ganesha. My salesperson missed the Himalayas, sometimes, he said...but not that much... he routinely flew back to visit the family and friends. So. This week, it's an ode to flight, in its various forms.
READ: Birds in Flight: The Art & Science of How Birds Fly, by Carol Henderson
EAT: Well in this case, it's a drink. CAV Wine Bar has a weekly featured wine flight. Good eats go with the drink, I might add
LISTEN: The Avett Brothers "I'll Fly Away"
The Avett Brothers - I'll Fly Away .mp3


Found at bee mp3 search engine

No comments: