Thursday, June 17, 2010

Read.Eat.Listen: The Circus



"You can become blind by seeing each day as a similar one. Each day is a different
one, each day brings a miracle of its own. It's just a matter of paying attention
to this miracle."
-Paulo Coelho, best-selling author of "The Alchemist"

I can generally tell the diffence as I have a lot of variety in my life--travel, freelancing and performing will find you 'changing channels' on scenes, faces and locations a lot. And June has been no different— full of gratifying shows and performance opportunities, spiritual adventures (Amma or bust!) and a bit of travel. Sometimes it can be like a circus.
One of the people at my show yesterday even turned out to be a flying trapeze artist and teacher!
I'm in NYC and PA for couple of weeks as I continue my flirt with the East Coast (as in will I ever commit and just decide where I want to be already, or just visit enough to keep the fascination alive-?). So while I don't know that I'll be traveling in a big tent anytime soon (though it could be interesting), the circus seems ripe as a point of inspiration, or at least consolation for nomadic tendancies:
Read: Circus Girl, by Nola Rae & Saibal Das
Eat: Honey Cracker Jacks Ingredients 1/2 c. Honey; 1/2 c. Vegan Margarine; 9 c. Popped popcorn; 1 c. Shelled peanuts. To make: Heat honey and margarine in a saucepan until well blended. Cool. Combine popcorn and peanuts in a large bowl. Pour honey mix over popcorn, stirring as you pour. When popcorn and peanuts are well coated, spread in a pan in a single layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp but not brown, stirring several times. Store in an air tight container.
Listen: Iron & Wine "The Trapeze Swinger"

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.