Monday, January 24, 2011

Mysore mesmerization






mes·mer·ize (m z m -r z , m s -). tr.v. mes·mer·ized, mes·mer·iz·ing, mes·mer·iz
·es. 1. To spellbind; enthrall.

I've an ad hoc, semi-regular, depending-on-whose-around writing group that meets up for practice writes (yes, these three months are mainly about practice on all fronts). Yesterday one of our prompt words was mesmerizing, and I realized that I'm kind of in a constant state of mesmerization here. And I'm especially mesermized by the light at dawn and dusk, those times in Mysore when the day begins or when, still bustling, the sun begins to set and the streets are alive but cast in an otherworldly glow. I don't know if it's polution or dust kicked up from unpaved streets or the particular rotation of the earth on its axis from this vantage, but there's a thickness, a viscosity of time and space, light and shadow that occurs here. I walk with my headphones on, a simple observer of everyday comings and goings, when it's all dragonfly hover, breeze tossing the tips of the palms and rustling laundry. One has an inordinate love of Indian laundry lines when they're mesmerized! Simple. Beauty.

No comments: