Sunday, July 8, 2012

Read.East.Listen: Rough Diamonds

Read: Shawn Colvin's new memoir "Diamond in the Rough" I've been a big fan of Shawn Colvin since hearing the tune "Steady On" and subsequently buying the CD of the same name back in the early 1990s. Suffice to say, I read Diamond in the Rough in about two days. It's a fast tour through her early childhood through alcoholism, depression, several states, hits songs, husbands and Grammy awards. And perhaps because her lyrics are so personal in the first place, none of it seemed like news to me! That said, she has had a stellar career, playing with the best, and I would have liked the book to take a little more time as she ticks off songs and awards. It felt like too quick a read.
Eat: I've been kind of obsessed with Carrot/Beet/Grapefruit Juice. That isn't really eating but for whatever reason, it's been getting my engine going. Plus the only place that I've found to make fresh juice in Alameda, The Blue Danube, features it on their menu. Ole!
Listen: I heard a song by Shovels & Rope on the radio the other day that got me to sit up and listen. Two voice, male and female, rough and smooth all at the same time.Who were these people? Where did they come from? How did I just hear of them? Anyhow, so much for being off the back. When I got home, I did some research on this duo, aka Cary Ann Hearst and Michael Trent, who are getting some traction for good reason.

No comments: