Friday, September 21, 2012

Read.Eat.Listen: Short forms

Read: I spent a few mostly unsuccessful years writing short stories before ceding my hand to essays and songs. Nonetheless, I remain a fan of the form. Alice Munro, Junot Diaz and the likes can still pull me into unwavering focus with their truth-filled fictions. This week I’ve been eating up Susan Minot’s Lust and Other Stories. She's more recent work but I missed this when it came out. Clear, immediate heart-breaking reads that are truly short and easy-to-fit lit for a busy schedule.
Eat: It's been the week of the almond thanks to making a batch of fresh almond milk.  Not many easier thing to make really. Soak raw almonds in water, drain, whir in a blender with 3 parts water to 1 part almonds, strain, voila.  Add agave, salt and vanilla to give it more shape. Yum.
-->
Listen: Aimee Mann, whose songs are sharp and telling stories of their own, has a new release 'Charmers'. We already knew Aimee was great and this collection is no exception. What else is there to say?

No comments: