Thursday, January 24, 2013

Read.Eat.Listen: Bend

It's been a week of listening to the world news: to Lance & Oprah, President Obama's inauguration, Beyonce's lips, Hilary testifying about Benghazi... a lot to process. Above the din, a few things have caught my ear  to provide some inspiration
Read: I heard a review of this book on NPR and rushed to find out more. "Bend, Not Break: A Life in Two Worlds," is Ping Fu's story of surviving the hell that was the Chinese Cultural Revolution,  being exiled to America (for her research on female infanticide) and going on to become the influential CEO of Geomagic. Here's a story for crazy times!
Eat: Goa Fish Curry. A couple years ago, I tacked on a few weeks' time in Goa, India, after several months spent in Mysore. Kwame flew out for that part of the trip, which involved more beach time than yoga. As many of the best places to eat are in the beach shack restaurants that line the beach, and many a sunset dinner involved the local fish curry. Since a birthday is going on 'round here, a Goan curry is in the making (albeit without the beach shack dining room). I didn't do any cooking in Goa, so I'm happy to have a copy of Niloufer Ichaporia King's  'My Bombay Kitchen'. The book is a good foodie read period; I'm glad to finally cook something out of it!
Listen: Of Monsters and Men 'King & Lionheart'

No comments: