Thursday, December 4, 2014

Rainy day museum visit

"When you put a seed in the ground, it doesn't stop growing after eight hours. It keeps going every minute that it's in the earth. We, too, need to keep growing every moment of every day that we are on this earth." -- Ruth Asawa


I left the uber rainy SF Bay Area for equally wet LA this week to hang with my sweetie, work on some writing, and dig a little deeper in my yoga practice. I still found time for an afternoon at the Norton Simon Art Museum which was so, so pleasing. I was delighted both to see a special exhibit of Ruth Asawa drawings and prints as well as an extensive Asian collection.
Throughout I kept coming upon paintings of flowers, studies, drawings, etchings. I loved the fact of visual artists coming back to  simple, ordinary captures of floral beauty through the ages. These flower paintings, from Asawa, Latour and de Heem, span 350 years. 


No comments: