Sunday, February 3, 2008

TP and Touchdowns


"Who are you rooting for?" I was asked up on entering Heather and David's Super Bowl shindig, which featured half of Hayes Valley, and a big old spread of food including a tray to team-specific cupcakes. New York fans outweighed New England loyalists amid this California crew but, really, I was there for another reason.
"Tom Petty!" I said.
The first concert I ever attended, at age 14, was Tom Petty's show at the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium, in his "Hard Promises" (The Waiting, Insider) days, and I've been a fan ever since. So what can I say, I was psyched he was the half-time act, where he clearly has more wrinkles but no less ability to rock. Yah-hoo.
That said, it was such a good game and a very fun party, that I couldn't help but get into the game. Given it was the only football I'd watch all year. Hah.

1 comment:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

One of my favorite Tom Petty songs is Walls. It chokes me up, and I'm not a cryer.