Monday, June 29, 2009

Weekend Wilco Sandwich

I credit childhood visits to Sally's house for much of my broad-genred love of music. I'd have been irretrievably lost to Top-40, American Bandstand and disco (though, hey, I still have it mind to cover Andy Gibb) if it weren't for Sally, her jazz-playing sister's vinyl collection and her mom's love of outlaw-country. And I'll credit her again, many years later, for giving me another dose of good sounds. Amid a packed weekend of parties and rehearsals and dinners I met up with Sally at the Greek Theater to see Wilco. While I like many of the band's songs, I was very turned off by bandleader Jeff Tweedy's attitude a couple of years ago when I saw him solo at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. But this time, backed by a killer group of musicians, his sense of humor and love of playing captivated me despite my too-many-activities fatigue, as well as the rest of crowd. This is YouTube-culled footage from a 2007 performance at the Greek (and yes, they played "California Stars" on Saturday).

No comments: