Monday, December 16, 2013

Cold Moon Meander

"December's Full Moon is called the Full Cold Moon. It is the month when the winter cold fastens its grip and the nights become long and dark. This full Moon is also called the Long Nights Moon by some Native American tribes." — Farmer's Almanac

I was driving home from a yoga class last night,  the full moon rising, the temperature dipping toward low, and this Over the Rhine song came on "Favorite Time of Light" and again, I was knocked out by this Ohio-based band.  They've been of my favorite bands to listen to this year, despite the fact that I've yet to see them live. Heartfelt music by deep listeners, authentic, and connected to the earth is music to aspire to. In any event, I've shared their stuff here before and I'm doing it again. Here's a live video of the song that got me last night:
What else? If you're an antsy sort, which I am, staying home for a few weeks can feel challenging. If I have an addiction, it's go taking off some place. Fortunately, I live in a great place and the Bay Area has been hopping with its own brand of holiday cheer, beauty (aka that moon. Over water. Mmm) and creativity. I stopped by The Crucible in Oakland yesterday to see a friend's wares (that would be jeweler Tricia Weiner) during the art center's Holiday Gifty Art Sale and Open House and was reawakened to the fact of the Crucible's awesomeness. If you're into fire, this is the place to be. Glassblowing, neon, blacksmithing anybody?

No comments: