Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Read.Eat.Listen: Relax

Like much of the world, I found myself troubled/fascinated/horrified by the events in Boston last week and read/listened to a little too much of the news. The antidote? Some grateful appreciation for my life and where I live, a timely set of exercises and some great tunes.
Read: This isn't a book-book, but a workbook/brochure, I found through bodyworker/teacher/writer Nikki Jordan. Having a long-standing interest in somatic practices, I was intrigued when she mentioned a TRE-Psoas "Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises" by David Berceli, Ph.D and signed up for a workshop. I found the short series of simple exercises very  effective at meeting its claim 'to release deep chronic tension.' Good stuff, especially in times like these.
Eat: Soba noodles. Gluten-free, tasty and exceedingly quick and simple to make, soba noodles are another item getting regular play in these parts. Here's a slew of cold-weather soba based recipes and a hot-weather variation from The Kitchn blog to encourage your soba creativity.
Listen: Well, I know I mentioned them in a fairly recent Read.Eat.Listen, but after seeing Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison play a great show at Freight and Salvage this weekend, this household can't seem to get enough of their songs. Here's another bit of inspired songwriting from their Cheater's Game Cd.

No comments: